Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving Day

Last year, we had Thanksgiving at my
parents house.
My Mom had only been home from the hospital
for six days.
We'd just found out that she had more
cancer than first thought,
and that she might have a year to live.
Maybe two.
My brother was there. We did our
best to make that Thanksgiving fun.
It really was.
This year, Thanksgiving was only
15 days after my Mom died.
We tried to do something new.
We woke up early to participate
in the Run Walk to the Rescue.
It was a lot of fun.
I cried.
I missed my Mom.
The kids turned Kalea into
"Bat Dog".
She wore a cape.
That made me laugh,
then I cried.
Doodles lost a tooth
that had been loose on her birthday.
She was so proud.
All I could think was, I wish my Mom
were here to see this.
We ate a late afternoon meal.
We all missed Mom.
We all cried.
Then I thought how thankful I was that
she wasn't suffering.
That she meant so much to us,
we miss her when she's gone.
That she's in heaven with Jesus, and
I will see her again.
I thought how thankful I was for
my family.

I am so thankful that we

had last year together. We made that Thanksgiving

special, because we didn't know how many more

Mom would have. It turned out, last Thanksgiving was her last.

I think of all of the people in this world that have lost

someone that they love, that didn't have the blessing of

making a holiday special. Of making

a year special. Of saying all the things that needed

to be said. I am so Thankful for the time that I had with my Mom.

I miss her so much, but I'm so glad she isn't suffering.

I am so thankful that she left this world

knowing how much she was loved.

I am so thankful for my family. My husband, my kids.

They made me smile when I cried, made me laugh,

and were just the most wonderful

Thanksgiving blessing I could ever ask for.

Happy Thanksgiving from our family

to yours.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful day of love and sharing and finding comfort in memories.

    ReplyDelete