Thursday, July 22, 2010

Weekend With Papa

Growing up, my Dad often worked two or more jobs while
going to college and then graduate school. My brother
and I didn't see a lot of him, but when we
did he was always a lot of fun. He made our time together special.
He and Mom took us to McDonald's on Friday nights, after
he'd finished cleaning at an elementary school (he was a janitor).
When we grew older, he'd take us for candy, or let us
watch horror movies that my Mom would never have allowed.
Dad is just a whole lot of fun. I love seeing him
have fun with the kids.
Last weekend, Doodles and I took a trip to visit Dad.
We went with him to an eye doctor appointment at a
local mall.
In the parking lot, there was a carnival going on.
After the appointment, Dad said,
"You want to take Doodles to the fair?"
Of course I did. What fun we had.
Dad bought her lots of tickets for rides.
A HUGE treat. Then, because she
was scared to go on things alone, he went with her on
everything.
He tickled her, fooled around with her, laughed with her,
and loved her. He's a really terrific grandfather.
He even went with her into this "rock star" ride.
I watched them as they laughed and fooled around together.
I couldn't help but think, four years ago, my daughter was living
with a single foster mother. She had no strong male influences
in her life. She was described as "boy crazy", because she was
always trying to get the little boys in her class to hold her
hand and kiss her. God not only brought her a father, but
He brought her a grandfather, a Papa.
A Papa who loves her no matter what, who loves spending
time with her and having fun with her.
A Papa that will go on all of the rides with her, laugh
with her, and hold her hand when she reaches for it.
Thank you Dad for being not only the wonderful and
Godly father that you are, but also for being such a
terrific Papa. Thank you for the fun weekend at the fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment