Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas Through Their Eyes

My Mom found out she was dying right before the holidays.
That Christmas time was really hard for all of us.
Sweet Jon did everything he could to think of ways
to help me feel better and to let me know that
our family would make it through.
That year was the first year that we went to see Lights on the Lake
with the kids.  Jon and I had gone, once, while we were dating.
That year, we decided to take our kids.
We planned on taking my Mom the next year.
She didn't live long enough to go.
We knew, that even without my Mom, Lights on the Lake was
a tradition that we would keep.
So just a few weeks after my
Mom died we took my Dad to see the lights. We cried.  We missed Mom.
This year, we went again.  It is a holiday tradition after all.
We had the privilege of bringing the two newest
members of our family.
P. and Baby J. got to experience our
family's tradition for the first time.
First it was out for dinner together. Then
we went to the dollar store for some candy.
You can't see Christmas lights without candy.
The boys were thrilled by the lights.
They had never seen anything like it.
I tried to take some pictures of them seeing the lights, but
I only managed to blind them with the flash and
annoy all of the cars around me as I was shooting
pictures like a crazy woman.
For the boys, every display was more exciting than the one before.
There were so many things for them to see.
By the end of our drive through the park,
P. declared, "I'm just tired.  I think I'll close my eyes
for a while."
It was with great happiness that I was able to tell him,
"Don't worry sweet heart.  We come every year, and next year
you will be with us."
I look forward to many, many more years of sharing the holidays
with my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment