Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Thanksgiving

Last year, Thanksgiving was a bit of a blur.  Not
 the good kind.  I don't remember much.
I don't remember what we ate, what we did.
I just remember how much I missed my Mom. How
much I cried.
She had only been gone for a handful of days.
I was still in shock.
Before she died, my Mom told me that she hoped
that I would be able to look at her things
with smiles instead of tears.  That the memories
that we shared would bring me joy and comfort
instead of pain.
I was dreading this Thanksgiving a bit. I wasn't sure how
it would be. How I would be.  I thought of my Mom
throughout the day.  I smiled as I pulled out the old
recipes that she had gathered for her last Thanksgiving.
I cried as I looked at our Garland of Gratitude and read
the things that she had written after finding out
that she was dying.
Things that she was grateful for.
Her husband, children, grandchildren
Her Savior.
I knew that the Garland of Gratitude was something that my Mom
loved.  She enjoyed everyone making leaves to
hang that shared things they were grateful for.
I knew that she would want that tradition to continue.
I smiled as I cut out the leaves.
I smiled as I handed them out and thought of the last Thanksgiving
we'd done the garland.  The silly things my brother had written,
the cute things the kids had written,
the final things my Mom had written.
On Thanksgiving, I thought of her with joy.  
Her things, her recipes, brought me comfort and happiness.
I have been so very blessed.  I
am so very thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment