Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Counting Blessings

Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday.
I love the fall, I love to cook, and I really love
to eat.
Last year, my Mom died the week before Thanksgiving.
The year before that, she found out she was dying
the week before Thanksgiving.
Needless to say, I've been feeling a bit sorry for myself.
I've been focusing on what I don't have.
This morning, for some reason, I was thinking about a song
that my Mom used to always sing when I was growing up.
"Count Your Blessings".
Even while she was dying, my Mom was thankful for everything
that she had. She was thankful for her life, her family, her faith,
EVERYTHING.
I started singing,  "When you are discouraged, thinking
all is lost.  When you're heavy burdened with the
weight of cost.  Count your many blessings, name them one by
one, and it will surprise you what the Lord has done."
While I was singing, I started thinking of all that I have
been blessed with.
Our two youngest sons.  Boys the Lord brought back to us
despite our doubts.  Our two older children.
Children that the Lord picked out for us and brought into our family.
Children whose hearts have been changed, whose lives have
been changed.
My parents who loved me unconditionally and who raised me
to love and serve the Lord.
My husband, who came into my life when I never expected it.
I have been blessed with a very happy marriage, so many people
have not.  I have been blessed with more blessings that I could ever count,
could ever name.  I miss my Mom during the holidays.
It's hard to have a new life without her, but I am so thankful for
all of the blessings that the Lord has given to me.
I have been blessed beyond measure.  I have been blessed more than I could ever
deserve.  I am truly thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment