Monday, September 12, 2011

Our First Day of "School"

Today was our first day of "school".  I was surprised
by how excited the kids were.  They couldn't
wait to get started.  After a delicious
breakfast, we set about the job of
"learning".
Before I had children, I had all sorts of opinions about
everything, including home schooling. If I'm honest, I'll be the first
to say that I made fun of home schoolers and what they did
"to" their children. Then, I had kids.
Wow, things change.  It never crossed my mind five years
ago when I started home schooling that I would still be doing it.
I am.
Last year, I threw out EVERYTHING that had to do
with a more traditional learning style, because it certainly wasn't working
for my kids.  I became more of an "unschooler" than I'd ever been.
I worked on trying to make the kids' education more
hands on, and more kid directed.  This year, we decided to do the same thing.
Today, we started our year out with fun.  To learn about longitude and
latitude, the kids played a game called "Shipwrecked".  Using map co-ordinates,
the kids had to find deserted islands and save the ship's passengers.
They also learned the way maps have changed over the years.  We looked at maps
that were more imagination than fact, and then the kids made their own imaginary maps
with strips of paper, lines of glitter, and areas shaded in to represent water.
My favorite project today was an idea that I stole from another home schooling blogger.
It's called a first day of school time capsule.  Each of the kids drew a picture
of themselves and then answered a few questions.
I traced their hands and feet, and then I measured them with a piece of
yarn.  We sealed up our time capsules, hid them away, and at the end of
the year we plan to open them and see how much the kids have 
grown and changed. It was so fun to listen to them learning today.
As I spent the time with the kids, I couldn't help but think how happy
I am that I made the decision to home school my children.
I love the time that I get to be with them. I love watching them enjoy
each other and our family.
I have to say, I love home schooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment