Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Thanks Mom

Long ago, my Mom once told me, "If you get
in a battle of wills with a child. You will lose."
I had no children, I knew I would never lose.
Last week, I wished with all of my heart that I could
call my Mom and tell her, "Thank you."
You see, her words were running through my head.
How right she was.  When you battle wills with a child, they
will out last, out maneuver, out wit even the cleverest of
parents.  I was once again, engaging in a battle with my oldest son.
This battle involved school.
The Big K. is very bright, but he is really not interested in working.
He enjoys everything hands on, and NOTHING that has to do
with memorization, practice, the use of his hands to write.
I can say that it seems I have tried everything, rewards, consequences, 
school bucks. Everything.  In the end I realized that it has to be his decision to work.
I can not force him.  I can make his life, and my life, miserable.
Last week, I removed myself from the battle.  It takes two
to continue a battle of the wills.  I will no longer be participating
in active combat.
I set up some new parameters for his participation in hands on work with
me.  So far, for a week, it's working.  I'm not sure how long it
will work, but I'm so thankful that it's working now. 
With all of my heart, I wish that I could have picked up the phone, called
my Mom, and told her, "Thank you. Guess what Mom?!  Once again you were right."

No comments:

Post a Comment