Monday, January 17, 2011

Dr. King

Before I was a Mom, I was a teacher.
Sometimes it feels like it was a million years ago.
My favorite teaching job was in the inner city.
I taught in an impoverished, primarily black area,
for four years before we adopted our kids.
I had learned of Dr. King and the civil rights movement, but
until my face was the only white face in a sea of black children,
families, people, I never understood the impact of the civil rights.
Until I saw the pride on my teaching assistant's face as
she spoke of Dr. King and the opportunities he gave, I never
realized how lucky I was and what a sacrifice he, and so many others, made.
It was at that job that I realized the beauty of Dr. King's dream.
The beauty of people being judged by
"the content of their character, and not the color of their skin."
Dr. King made it possible for me, a white woman, to go into a black school
and teach.  Dr. King made it possible for the children
in my class to grow up to be anything.
Most importantly, Dr. King and all of the people that
fought for civil rights, made it possible for me to adopt two 
African American children.
Two children whose skin is a different color than mine.
It is with joy that I think of Dr. King on his birthday. I think of his sacrifice
and the sacrifice of all of those men and women that fought
so that we, people of different colors, could become a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment