Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Ode to My Brother

My Mom was an only child.  More than anything, she wanted
my brother and I to have each other.  Growing up, Tim and I would
fight, and my mother would say time and time again, "You are so lucky
to have each other."
Of course, when we were younger, we didn't believe it.
Then something happened.
We became friends.
The kind of friends that grow up together, share the same memories,
schools, parents.
The kind of friends  that support one another through
good and bad.  Best friends.
My brother was the person that I turned to when I was
getting divorced, when I was struggling in my faith,
when I was raped by my first boyfriend.  My brother was
the person I went to for everything.  He was my friend.
Life, jobs, and distance separated us, and yet through
everything we remained friends.  When Jon and I made
the decision to adopt siblings it was because of our relationship with
our own siblings.
I wanted children that would be able to grow up together like
my brother and I had.
When my Mom was diagnosed with cancer,
it was with my brother that I cried.  We sat in the waiting
room together.  We talked about what would happen to
Dad.  
Together, my brother and I planned what would be
my Mother's last holidays.  We shared memories
of times together.  We talked about what it would be like if and when she
was gone.
He held me as I cried.
Then, as only a brother can, he rolled his eyes, laughed at me,
and asked me if I was done.
My Mother encouraged my brother to become more involved
in the lives of my kids.  She told him how important he was to them.
Despite his natural inclination to remain distant, he tried.
He spent time with them, took them out, listened to them
when they talked to him.
On the day that my Mother died, it was my brother that was the 
first person to make me laugh.  He told me ridiculous stories
about being a white boy with red hair in a Muslim nation.
It felt good to laugh instead of cry.
When my Dad decided to remarry, it was my brother that
told me all of the good things about it.  He was with me during the wedding.
He brought tissues for me, because he knew that I would be crying.
Despite our many differences, one thing remains
true. My brother is one of my best friends.  I may not understand him,
but I will always support him.
My heart hurts for him as he seeks his way in this life.
I am proud to have him as a sibling. I am proud to have him remain a part
of my children's lives.  More than anything, I love him. I would do
anything for him.  I will forever be there for him.
He is my brother. My mother was right.  We are so lucky to
have each other.
I love you Tim. I'm proud to have you as my baby brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment