Friday, January 14, 2011

A Trip To Sumo

For Christmas, the kids gave Jon a trip for lunch at
Sumo.
Sumo is a local Japanese restaurant that has a hibachi grill.
The chef comes out to your table, prepares the food for you, 
and does all of this entertaining stuff designed to make you laugh, or perhaps
humiliate you.
What made this a gift to their Dad was their willingness
to go somewhere out of their comfort zone.
They tried food they weren't familiar with
and endured all of the silly stuff that the chef did to them.
They put up with having food thrown at them,
orange juice squirted in their mouth,
and a chef that seemed to enjoy making them smile.
He really was good at his job.
I hate having food thrown at me, juice squirted in my mouth,
and going someplace that is out of my comfort zone, but I really
enjoyed this trip with our kids.
I loved watching them sample all of the new food.
I loved their curiosity about the art that hung on the walls,
the way that the grill worked, and how the chef learned to throw an
egg into his hat without breaking it.
I loved seeing their horizons broadened. 
I loved that they loved their Daddy enough to do something for him
that wasn't something they would want to do on their own.
At the end of our meal, Jon asked them if
they would ever go back there.  All four of them said that they would.
I imagine that we will be going to Sumo again sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment