Thursday, February 10, 2011

Our First Week

One year, when I was teaching, I had a particularly
challenging class.  I lost a lot of support staff, the majority of the
kids in my class were considered "at risk".  I spent a great
deal of time that year thinking and re-thinking my teaching
approach, my daily schedule, the activities that I had the kids do.
I had a rule, if you change something, give it at 
least three weeks before you decide
it doesn't work.
Home schooling is one hundred times different than teaching in a school.
These students are mine.  I love them beyond reason.  I want to see them
succeed.  I have an interest in them, beyond this grade.  I want them to be happy.
One thing is the same, give it three weeks before you decide if it works or not.
This has been week one.
We've changed EVERYTHING about our schooling routine.
Lessons are more hands on, slower paced, less
"traditional".  We've read a lot, used the computer a lot, 
and explored the topics that really seem to demand more study.
We've studied castles and the middle ages by
making our own castles and cooking a mid-evil meal.
We've read lots of books, learned lots of songs,
and really had a lot of fun.
In one week, I've seen my kids blossom more.  Despite fighting
colds, some emotional issues, and just life,
the kids have enjoyed their schooling.
They've asked more questions,
laughed more, played more,
and just enjoyed the time.
I don't know if we'll continue this form of schooling
forever, but we will do it again next week.
Life is too short to rush through it, to fight,
to struggle to argue.
The days, when they are small, are so few in comparison
to the rest of their lives.  The time that I have to influence them
is so short.  The time that I can wake up, enjoy breakfast with them, answer their
questions, read them stories, cook with them, laugh with them, and
learn with them will be gone before I know it.
So for now, this form of schooling is my choice.  I want them to want
to learn. I want to facilitate their learning. I want to love them and nurture them in ways
that they weren't loved and nurtured during their infancy, toddler hood, early childhood.
I want them to look back on their school years with fond memories.
I want to look back on their school years and know that I did everything
that I could for them.  That I gave them my best.
Each and every one of them deserve that.

No comments:

Post a Comment